Background

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Argument for Natural Birth

There's arguments for both medicated and un-medicated labor, and both sides will tout scientific evidence to support their points.  After doing some research and speaking with my doctor and doula, I have decided that I want to attempt a natural (un-medicated) birth.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), I've received a lot of blow-back from family and friends for this.  The arguments range from, "why wouldn't you take advantage of modern medicine if it can take away unnecessary pain?" to, "oh, you're going to want an epidural."  While I see the logic in the first response, it's the second response that boils my blood.  The connotation in the statement that I'm "going to want an epidural" screams in a condescending tone that my pain tolerance is low and that I'm somehow not strong enough to deliver a baby without the use of pain medication.  The only emotion this kind of argument triggers in me is defiance.

I can absolutely handle the pain of labor and delivery.  Women have been having babies for thousands of years, and epidurals are a fairly recent intervention in the grand scheme of things. Don't tell me what I can or cannot do, because I'll show you I can do whatever I put my mind to.

Don't get me wrong.  I've had friends who requested an epidural as soon as they got to the hospital, and that was perfect for them.  I'm not saying that a medicated birth is any less valid than an un-medicated one because it's certainly not. 

But for me, I feel like I have something to prove.  My mom had my brother and me without an epidural, and she believes I can do it.  She has been the one supportive voice outside my doctor and doula who has supported my decision to try an un-medicated birth.  She's told me multiple times that my body is made to have a baby and that I can do it.  I really appreciate her support, and I look forward to being able to leave the delivery room triumphantly drug-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment