Background

Friday, August 15, 2014

Modeling and Body Image

I would like you to watch this 9 1/2 minute video.  The modeling industry is why so many girls and even grown women have body image issues.  The mom at the beginning of the video who politely refuses the scouts is doing her daughter a huge favor in my opinion, whether she realizes it or not.  I know there's a lot of money to be made in modeling, and I understand that it is a dream for a lot of young women--it was a dream of mine at some point. 



Now that you've (hopefully) watched the video, think about if one of those models was your daughter.  If she was your child, would you really want her to have that negative image of her body?  The first girl to leave is putting off college in order to become a model, and she has to work to "trim her thighs"?  And the recruiters don't think that's unhealthy?  I want to rip my hair out at that!




Okay, so now that I've finished my short rant, please watch this music video.  It's catchy and I think it holds a good--if not slightly cheeky--message for young girls.  The song isn't perfectly supportive (it does cater to the idea that a woman should have the kind of body the opposite sex would find attractive), but it makes strides in positive body image as far as I'm concerned.



Meghan Trainor is beautiful, curvy, and she owns it.  "'Cause every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top."

No comments:

Post a Comment