Background

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

7 Ingredients Book Project

As a pre-service teacher I spend one day per week in a middle school classroom as a pre-intern. My cooperating teacher (CT) is the teacher I shadow in his/her classroom. This semester, my CT is great. I was blessed with a wonderful CT last semester as well, but this CT has the same teaching style I see myself falling into.

My CT this semester introduced me to a project she created for students to analyze books they've read, and I'm calling it The 7 Ingredients Project.  I think this project is SO AWESOME that I want to share it. 

So here it is:

Book project: 7 ingredients. Students pick a recipe with at least 7 ingredients and/or functions. Each ingredient has a specific role in the recipe (eggs bind ingredients together, preheating the oven heats ingredients up, etc). Students compare 7 ingredients and/or functions to characters and events in their book.
Example: preheating the oven may be compared to an event that moves the plot towards the climax, and eggs might be compared to a character who furthers the plot by bringing two or more characters together.

My CT has resources for her students to look up the functions of different ingredients, and I'll post those as an update to this post when I get them from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment